Tuna, Veggie & Quinoa Salad
A simple salad, but full of healthy ingredients. I love this perpared pilaf style (i.e. no dressing), but my hubby prefers it with the dressing. You can switch up the ingredients, too (I do quite often depending on what I have on hand!)
- Ready In:
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 12 ounces tuna in water, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked corn kernel (frozen will work, just defrost first)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh herb (like parsley, cilantro, mint)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 orange, zest of
- 4 -6 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- salt & pepper
- Combine quinoa & water in a saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Bring to a boil over medium high flame, then reduce flame to low and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, till water is absorbed and quinoa is tender, 12-15 minutes.
- Combine tuna, beans, corn, bell pepper, and herbs in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk olive oil, zest, orange juice, and salt and pepper till smooth.
- When quinoa is done cooking, let cool a few minutes, then combine with veggies in bowl. Drizzle with dressing (if using), stir to mix. Serve warm or chilled.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I just made this and it's unbelievably good. I'm on a quinoa kick right now and this is probably the best quinoa dish I've come across, I just ate it as my main course for dinner. I changed the recipe up slightly. I'm not a huge fan of cold salads, so I went ahead and sauteed the bell pepper along with half an onion and the corn. For the herb, I just used parsley because that's what I had (though I think cilantro would be really good). For a final touch, I added a couple handfuls of chopped pecans and BAM! A most delicious, healthy meal. I was kind of skeptical of how the orange dressing was going to mix with the flavors of the sauteed veggies but it worked out really well. It made a lot and it fills you up fast, so I'll gladly be munching on this for the next few days!Reply