Tuber Toss (Potato, Sweet Potato and Carrot)
Known in our family as "Potato Blob", this tastes better than it sounds! Honey-fried onions, some chili peppers and a bit of cheese on top make for a sweet and peppery, but not too strong, one-dish meal or side-dish.
- Ready In:
- 3 big potatoes
- 1 big sweet potato
- 1 big carrot
- 4 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chile
- 4 tablespoons milk, roughly
- 1 tablespoon butter, roughly
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup white cheddar cheese, grated (or more)
- Chop potatoes, sweet potato and carrot into bite-size pieces, placing in a big bowl of cold water as you go, to keep them fresh. Once all are chopped, put pieces into a pot of water and bring to a boil on high heat. Continue to boil at high heat until a piece will come apart easily when poked with a fork.
- While vegetables are cooking, fry onion, honey, 1 1/2 tsp of butter and chilis in a small pan until golden and tender. Turn off heat and set aside.
- When potatoes and carrots are cooked, drain the boiling water out of the pot and mash them until smooth, adding milk and 1 TBSP butter as you go. Add fried onions and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide between two plates and top with grated cheese and some more pepper. Enjoy!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This was very good. Lots of flavor. Made it for PAC 2010 and I enjoyed it. I just made it for a lady I good for and she loves sweet potatoes, sweet/sour, sweet/spicy stuff. She enjoyed it. A couple of suggestions. I know the ingredients are not critical as it is a forgiving recipe, but you may want to note that in the intro. Some people are very EXACT measurements only. Chile ... be more specific, red pepper, fresh chilies, chili powder; I knew what you meant but just for clarification purposes. I also salt my water well when I cook potatoes on medium vs high heat and mention the temp you want them to fry the onion at. High with butter and honey the onion would be black. Medium to Medium high gave them a nice toast without burning. Loved the cheddar at the end and definitely salt and pepper, but it was very very good. but yes the name ..... lol, but I did enjoy and I will make again Thx, kim1Reply