photo by Tuck Burnette
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 20mins
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
- shakes hot sauce
- six rainbow trout fillets (8-10 ounces each)
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup sliced almonds, preferable blanched, and prepared at home
- 2 tablespoons strained lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- lemon wedges or fluted lemon slice, for service
- Stir together the milk, 1 teaspoon of salt and shakes of tabasco sauce in a 13x9 pan. Wash and dry trout slices. Add to pan, turning to coat, and immersing as well as possible. Cover with plastic film and chill 2-3 hours.
- Remove trout fillets from milk, put them on a plate, do not dry them, discard milk mixture.
- Spread flour on another plate, season with pepper.
- Melt 1/4 cup butter with oil in a heavy skillet.
- While butter melts, dredge each trout fillet in flour, lightly shaking off excess. When butter is hot, add as many trout fillets as will fit without crowding. Cook about 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Transfer to a sheet pan. Repeat until all of trout has been cooked, if more butter is needed, have more ready, but not from the specified reserved amount.
- When all of the fish has been cooked, put it on the sheet, cover loosely with foil, and put into a 175 degree oven to keep warm.
- Put the cup of butter and the almonds into a saucepan with the remaining teaspoon salt. Cook moderately until lightly browned. Stir in the lemon juice and Worchestershire sauce. Cook two minutes. Remove from heat and stir in parsley. Serve over fillets with lemon wedges on warm plates.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!