Traditional Scottish Wholemeal Scones
- Ready In:
- 6 ounces whole wheat flour (175g or 1 1/2 US cups)
- 6 ounces white flour (175g or 1 1/2 US cups)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 ounces butter (60g or half stick) or 2 ounces margarine (60g or half stick)
- 2 teaspoons golden syrup, warmed
- approximately quarter pint milk (5 fl.oz. or 150ml or generous US half cup)
- 1 pinch salt
- Mix the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and then rub in the fat until it becomes like coarse breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the melted syrup and then add enough milk to make a soft dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and roll until quite thin. Using a cutter, cut into rounds of about 1½ inches (3.8cm) in diameter.
- Place the rounds on a floured baking sheet and cook in a pre-heated oven at 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5 for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve hot, spread with butter.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!