Traditional Italian Sausage Stuffing
photo by Johnsonville Sausage
- Ready In:
- 1hr 4mins
- 1 (19 ounce) package Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausages (Ground or de-cased links)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, separated
- 2 loaves focaccia bread, cut into 1-in . cubes (12 oz. each)
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pimento stuffed olive, chopped
- 5 large fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups water or 1 1/2 cups white wine
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- In a skillet, cook and crumble sausage in 1 tablespoons olive oil until no longer pink; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine bread cubes and the remaining oil. Sprinkle with pepper; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes or until crisp and a lightly browned, stirring once. Remove pan to a wire rack to cool slightly.
- In a very large bowl, combine the bread cubes, reserved sausage, Parmesan cheese, green pepper, sun-dried tomatoes, basil and garlic. Combine eggs and water; pour over bread mixture and toss to coat.
- Transfer to a buttered 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Dot with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until hot.
- More great recipes and savings at Italianville.com.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!