This is a great eggnog with or without alcohol. I put in the alcohol! It is from "Company's Coming for Christmas. Salute!
- Ready In:
- 12 large egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 12 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 7 cups whole milk
- 2 cups light rum
- 1 cup whiskey (rye or scotch)
- 1 dash nutmeg
- You will need 3 medium to large bowls.
- In the first bowl beat egg whites until they start to thicken.
- Add 1 cup sugar, beat until thick.
- In the second bowl: Beat egg yolks and salt until thick.
- Combine beaten egg whites with yolks and beat until mixed and thick.
- In a third large bowl beat cream until it starts to thicken.
- Add 2 tbsp sugar & vanilla to the beaten cream.
- Add milk, rum & whiskey beating continually (for non alcoholic eggnog omit the alcohol and add artificial rum flavoring doing it a tsp at a time until you achieve the desired taste).
- Combine all the ingredients, and chill.
- Serve with a garnish of a sprinkle of nutmeg on top of each glass.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Only my 2nd time making eggnog, 1st time w/o cooking the eggs. Initially thought 7C of milk and 3C of cream was way too much bc when I tasted it without the alcohol it was way too milk heavy and I thought I'd have to add a heck of a lot of sugar to enjoy it. However after refrigerating if for a few hours, the alcohol (used whiskey) helped it immensely IMO. I really also enjoyed the delicious foam on top. As another review mentioned earlier, recommended times for beating the egg whites/yolks would've made this recipe easier. But there's a good chance I'll make again ??Reply
see 29 more