Totally Bitchin' Buttermilk Pie
photo by Greeny4444
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar (if thats too much sugar for you,divide this into part sugar, part Splenda. It won't be as sweet, but)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup butter (melted, but not hot to the touch)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts (unbaked, pre-made)
- Preheat oven at 350.
- Don't pre-bake the crust!
- Mix all ingredients together in a big bowl. Make sure everything is well blended. I found that adding the buttermilk last came out best.
- Pour into pie crust and bake for 10 minutes.
- Lower the heat to 325 and bake for 1 hour. If the crust is browning too quickly, cover the pie with foil to keep the crust from burning.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I have never had a buttermilk pie before, and I asked my husband if he had, and he said, "I don't know," so I'm going to take that as a no. Haha. It was sweeter and custardy-er (is that a word?) than I thought it would be. I'm not sure what I thought it would be like. I made a homemade pie crust (half of a recipe of Recipe #401353), and it came together really quick. I used 3/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup Splenda, as suggested in the ingredients. I know the picture isn't the prettiest - sorry 'bout that. :( I'm not sure this was our cup of tea, but I'm glad we tried it. Made for Spring PAC 2010.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
hmm, where ta begin? Well, since high school, i've been a HUGE fan of Paula Deen. I wish she could adopt me! lol My mother and i used to cook thanksgiving and easter for the rest of our family every year and we so looked forward to it. But since ive moved out to attend college, neither of us have really had the time to plan for those holidays as much as we used to. I'm more into baking than actually cooking just because i seem to get more "wow"s when i make a pie rather than a pot roast. Im currently living in Stillwater,OK with my boyfriend and both of us are pretty busy- and poor- students, so im always looking for inexpensive, quick and easy (or crockpot-friendly) meals. <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg">