Tostito Scooper Meat and Cheese Hot Dish
This is an easy stack dish. You can add the cream sauce to the meat or add it on top as the last layer. I personally like it on top. No salt,no canned soup,just a creamy cilantro white sauce.
- Ready In:
- Pam cooking spray
- 4 -6 cups tostito scoop tortilla chips
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef or 1/2 lb ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (use for Turkey burger)
- 14 1⁄2 ounces Mexican-style tomatoes, drained (save juice)
- 2 cups colby-monterey jack cheese or 2 cups monterey jack pepper cheese, fine shredded
- 3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried cilantro
- In medium saucepan, add margarine and flour.
- Whisk until margarine melted and flour blended. Add milk. Whisk on medium heat until sauce starts to thicken.
- Add cilantro and blend.
- Cook a few minutes and take off heat. Set aside.
- Preheat oven 375°.
- Use a shallow baking dish with 1 to 2 inch sides. I use a 10 1/2 inch round Pyrex baking dish. Spray dish with Pam.
- Cook burger in medium fry pan until just browned.
- Option 1. Add 1 cup cream sauce to the meat. Reserve the balance for the top.
- Option 2. Add the reserved tomato juice to meat and save the cream sauce for the top.
- Pour scoopers in the baking pan.
- Spoon meat over scoopers.
- Add diced tomatoes.
- Add shredded cheeses.
- Bake 20 minutes until cheeses are nicely melted, not brown.
- Take out of oven. Add cream sauce on top.
- Bake 10 minutes more until hot.
- Set about 10 minutes.
- Note: If you use fresh tomatoes like roma, you must add cream sauce to meat or it will be dry. There is not enough juice to add to the meat.
- You can use other types of cheeses.
- I like to use cream sauces and add flavoring nstead of canned soups which are too salty for us to eat now.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION