Tortellini With Baby Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
photo by Mindset
- Ready In:
- 1 lb frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, crushed by hand or wooden spoon
- 1⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, drained a bit, and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped
- 5 ounces fresh Baby Spinach
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, roughly chopped
- salt and pepper
- fresh grated pecorino romano cheese, for serving
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Heat a large deep skillet or saucepan over medium/medium high heat.
- Add sun dried tomatoes and saute for about 30 seconds.
- Next, add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook for about 45 more seconds, careful not to let the garlic burn.
- Add tomatoes and stir together.
- Let sauce come to a boil, reduce heat to low, then cover and let simmer while pasta water comes to a boil.
- Boil pasta according to package directions (about 6-8 minutes).
- While pasta finishes cooking, add spinach to the sauce.
- I end up using about 1/2 of a 10 oz bag.
- Give spinach leaves a stir and then place lid back on the sauce to let the leaves wilt slightly.
- As pasta finishes cooking, ladle a couple scoops of sauce into serving bowl.
- Drain tortellini, and add to bowl with a couple more ladles of sauce overtop.
- Toss to combine.
- I always have some sauce left over which I keep on the side for dunking in bread.
- Top tortellini with grated cheese and serve!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was sooo fast!! Basically just waiting on water to boil. I only made a couple changes as DH is picky about his tomatoes. Tomatoes will not be eaten without onions (added about 1/2 onion chopped with the sundried tomatoes) and tomatoes will not be eaten chunky (pulsed them a couple times in the food processor). Added tons of basil from the garden and this smelled amazing! Plated this in less than 20 minutes and DH absolutely love this. Served with garlic bread and wine. Thanks Kozmic Blues! Made for Veg*n Swap 23!
Quick, easy and very tasty! I used semi-sundried tomatoes and spinach & cheese tortellini and more chilli flakes than called for. I also followed another reviewer's advise and stirred some lite cream through the sauce before serving. Cheap canned tomatoes in Australia tend to be a bit acidic, so I did put some sugar in the sauce as well. Lovely weeknight dinner, thanks heaps!
see 1 more reviews
This is very good! I must say though, that I didn't make the recipe exactly as posted. I thought I had sundried tomatoes but apparently had run out, so instead, I diced up about 2 pimientos and put them in the sauce, along with about 1/3 cup of heavy cream and a can of diced tomatoes. I used the large can of crushed tomatoes instead of whole tomatoes. OK... so I made quite a few small changes. But, with what I did, it was excellent!!! I used cheese tortellini and I think that works best with this recipe. Very good! Thanks!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Friend me on Facebook: <a href="http://www.facebook.com/rebekah.reid" title="Rebekah Reid" target="_TOP" style="font-family: "lucida grande",tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-variant: normal; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; color: #3B5998; text-decoration: none;">Rebekah Reid</a> | <a href="http://www.facebook.com/badges.php" title="Make your own badge!" target="_TOP" style="font-family: "lucida grande",tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-variant: normal; font-style: normal; font-weight: normal; color: #3B5998; text-decoration: none;">Create Your Badge</a><a href="http://www.facebook.com/rebekah.reid" title="Rebekah Reid" target="_TOP"><img src="http://badge.facebook.com/badge/1059979755.389.889814801.png" alt="Rebekah Reid" style="border: 0px;" /></a> Follow me on <a href="http://twitter.com/Becky_R">Twitter!</a> <a href="http://web.me.com/kozmic_blues">My Website!</a> <a href="http://beckystastyplanet.blogspot.com/">Food Blog!</a> <a href="http://gallery.mac.com/kozmic_blues">Photo Gallery!</a> Thanks for visiting my "About Me" page!! I'm Becky and I live in Providence, Rhode Island. I probably enjoy cooking more than almost anything...which is why I adore this site so much!! Nothing makes me more happy than to create a meal for family and friends to share together and ENJOY. <img src=http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:mxVQnIIYIrpqKM:http://quakeragitator.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/autism_awareness_logo3.jpg><img src=http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:AfhXhWEtLQYbVM:http://www.marriageequalityri.org/photos/shop.a1.jpg><img src=http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:iSI4l3JhSOqKPM:http://marriagerights.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/gay-pride-flag-738850.jpg><img src=http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:1J1-2O7PWW4c5M:http://www2.hawaii.edu/~mccorkhi/vegan.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegn%20swap/vegnswap.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegn%20swap/group07kiwi.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap1/group02banana.jpg> <img src=http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m445/mliss29/vegnswap1/group12starfruit.jpg>