Torta Di Pasquetta (The Pasquetta/Easter Tart)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups fresh ricotta
- 14 large eggs
- 3⁄4 lb cooked ham (good quality) or 3/4 lb mortadella, diced (good quality)
- 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh marjoram, minced
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- In a bowl, quickly mix together the flour, water, oil and salt. Transfer the mixture to a work surface. Briefly work the dough with your fingertips until it forms a ball.
- Divide into two balls, one slightly larger than the other (one third to two thirds); shape balls into flattened disks, wrap separately in plastic, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator. On a lightly floured work surface, roll the larger piece to a 14 ½ inch round, 1/2 inch thick. Transfer to an 11 inch springform pan, pressing into edges and leaving a ¼ inch overhang.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F In a bowl, combine the ricotta, 7 of the eggs, ham, marjoram, salt, and pepper; spoon into the prepared crust. With the back of a tablespoon, create 6 deep egg-shaped indentations in the filling. One at a time, crack an egg into each indentation.
- Roll the remaining dough into a 11-inch round. Cover the top of the tart with dough; pinch together the edges and trim any excess dough. Whisk together the remaining egg with 1 tablespoon water. Brush the top of the tart with the egg wash and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and cumin seeds.
- Bake tart, rotating halfway through, until top is puffed up and golden, 55 to 60 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan and cool on rack to room temperature.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!