- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups honey
- 3 cups almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups hazelnuts
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 lemon, rind of, grated
- 2 sheets wafer paper
- Pour honey into a large double boiler and cook for 1-1/2 hours, stirring.
- constantly with a clean wooden spoon. (300degF on candy thermometer).
- Toast almonds and hazelnuts in oven until golden brown. Just before honey is ready (when it becomes hard and brittle if dropped from a teaspoon into cold water), put sugar into a small pan with 1/2 cup water and cook until slightly bluish (300degF).
- Beat egg whites to stiff peaks and add to honey. Mix well for 5-6 minutes. Add diluted sugar.
- Mix again for another 5 minutes. Add almonds, hazelnuts and grated lemon rind.
- Mix well and pour into wafer paper lined 8"x8" square non-stick pan. Spread the torrone with an offset spatula coated with non-stick spray and place 2nd sheet on wafer paper - pressing firmly to the top of the candy.
- I covered the pan with plastic wrap and placed into the freezer for faster firming. You can let it sit out on the counter for an hour or overnight as well.
- Invert the candy onto a cutting board. You may need to use the offset spatula to help loosen. Use an ELECTRIC KNIFE to cut the torrone into small squares.
- To store the torrone wrap in plastic wrap and store at room temperature or in the freezer.
Join The Conversation