Torrisi's Spicy Sauce
- Ready In:
- 4 ounces pickled peppers
- 2 ounces roasted red peppers
- 1 ounce tomato paste (or 2 oz. crushed tomato for a looser, thinner version of the sauce)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (extra-virgin is always best)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar (I prefer brown, but white is fine too)
- salt (please taste the sauce first, many pickled peppers are plenty salty!)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced (not in the original recipe, but I love the extra dimension it adds)
- When it comes to the pickled peppers, B and G hot cherry peppers are suggested by Torrisi, although the pickled jalapenos from the grocery store would be great too. Throw in a chipotle pepper for a smoky version of the sauce. Play with it!
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender, and mix until desired texture is reached. Torrisi's makes it "slightly smooth" -- I like mine pureed quite finely.
- If jarring for edible gifts, I like to use the jam jars that allow you to insert a small square of fabric (I like using red-checked gingham, since it looks so Italian) and a tag with the recipe or a list of sauce uses.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a married cruise-only travel agent with two stepsons, aged 20 and 25. It took a while to get the boys used to my cooking, as they were raised on fast food and pre-packaged foods (i.e. mac-n-cheese from the blue box, frozen dinners, Chef Boyardee, McDonalds, etc.). My mother is from Spain and I lived there as well as Germany, England and Italy growing up, which influenced both my career and my cuisine!</p> 8726943"