Tonga Toast (Rainforest Cafe)
photo by MelinOhio
- Ready In:
- 4 slices of good white bread (1 inch thick, try texas toast bread)
- 2 bananas (sliced)
- 8 -12 strawberries (sliced)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon vanilla
- whipped butter
- maple syrup
- chopped pecans
- Mix the sugar, milk, cinnamon, egg, and vanilla in a shallow pan. ( Another way I've seen this is to leave the sugar and cinnamon out of this step mix them together and then sprinkle them over the toast after it has cooked, whatever sounds good to you, I've done them both).
- Dip each slice of bread, flipping it over to saturate both sides.
- Fry in a frying pan that has been preheated on medium heat with a little butter in the bottom of the pan.
- Brown both sides, remove from heat and garnish each slice of bread with 1/2 a banana and 2-3 strawberries and desired amounts of butter and syrup and nuts -- enjoy.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was colorful and very tasty. I always prepare French Toast with thick slices of bread which I've placed on the bread board to "dry" for at least 8 hours. I learned this technique from Alton Brown, and it really does make a huge difference. He also suggests making the egg batter in advance and refrigerating it overnight, but I haven't found that step improves the toast.
I made this for my girlfriend and she loved it! I'm kind of new at the whole cooking thing and it was nice to find something tasty and nourishing that can be thrown together in a few minutes. Due to my skill I think it could have been a little bit better but I wouldn't fault the recipe for that. Thanks for posting; I can't wait to try this one again!
see 1 more reviews