Tomato Stilton Soup
- Ready In:
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes with juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2⁄3 cup crumbled Stilton cheese or 2/3 cup other blue cheese
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- Place tomatoes with their juice in a medium bowl; crush tomatoes well, into small pieces, with a potato masher.
- In a 3-quart saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onion and celery; cover and cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes, broth, wine, sugar and thyme; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 minutes until vegetables are very tender.
- Stir in cream and 1/2 cup Stilton; heat through but do not boil. Ladle soup into 6 soup bowls; sprinkle with pepper and remaining Stilton.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!