Tomato Rasam Soup
photo by KristinV
- Ready In:
- 2 medium tomatoes, one quartered and one chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 1 fresh hot green chili pepper, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2 red chili peppers
- Puree the quartered tomato with the garlic in a blender of food processor. Set aside.
- Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the chopped tomato, the ginger, cilantro, and green chile. Turn the heat down and simmer 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato-garlic puree, the curry or rasam powder, cumin, black pepper, and salt and simmer 5 minutes.
- For the tempering oil.
- Combine the oil and mustard seeds in a small frying pan or saucepan over medium-high heat. Cover (the mustard seeds splatter and pop) and cook until you hear the mustard seeds crackle, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the chiles and cook uncovered, stirring, until they start to brown, about 30 seconds. Pour immediately into the soup and stir. Serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I love, love, love to cook. Most of all I love to cook for friends and family because it is such an awesome feeling to bring the people that mean the most to me through such an essential ingredient for life... FOOD! I am a vegan the switch opened up the world of cooking in a way I never imagined! People constantly ask me 'what do you eat?' and I can confidently tell them that if they were to leave meat and dairy behind they would find an enormous world of food out there that they have never heard of! And it is all more delicious and nourishing than animal products. My ultimate goal is to shake my 9 to 5 office job and become a caterer or open my own restaurant and I am forever dreaming of my big lottery win that will allow me to do this.</p>