Tomato Ketchup (Green Zebra)
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 45mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups puree'd skinned tomatoes (green)
- 1⁄4 cup malt vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup puree'd softened sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, puree'd
- 1 ounce sherry wine
- 1 tablespoon dark barley malt extract
- 1⁄4 cup palm sugar (melted)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon clove
- Skin tomatoes, remove stems and puree until you have 1 1/2 cups of puree’d tomatoes.
- Soften onions by cooking them on low heat in corn oil until they begin to become translucent. Once onions are softened, puree them. You should have only 1/4 cup worth of puree’d onions. You may puree the garlic clove with the onion. Try to remove as much of the corn oil as possible before puree’ing the onions.
- Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan and simmer for about an hour and a half, until it begins to thicken. Remember to stir from time to time to prevent scorching.
- Remove from heat and transfer the entire sauce into a blender and puree until smooth. Be careful with blending the sauce while it is hot, you may want to allow it to cool a bit first.
- Place the finished ketchup into a container and refrigerate, allow at least 2 hours for the flavors to marry.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!