Tomato, Cheese, and Avocado Sandwich
This is one of my favorite sandwiches! I usually use a wonderful white horseradish cheddar cheese rather than provolone, but it's kind of hard to find and the provolone is tasty, too. :) I've tried it on a lot of different breads, but I think that Oroweat's Carb Counting Multigrain Bread (when I'm being good) and Poulsbo Bread (when I'm bad) are my favorites for this sandwich.
- Ready In:
- 2 2 slices potato bread or 2 slices whole grain bread (what-have-you)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mayonnaise (Best Foods, Hellmann's, or Vegenaise)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 -3 drops balsamic vinegar, to taste
- 1 slice provolone cheese
- 1 slice prosciutto or 1 slice ham (an extremely thin slice) (optional)
- 1⁄2 ripe avocado, pitted,peeled,and in slices
- 4 slices ripe tomatoes (thin slices)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste (I like a tri-color pepper mix)
- 1 leaf romaine lettuce or 1/4 cup alfalfa sprout (I often leave this off)
- If you like your sandwiches toasted, go ahead and toast your bread.
- Mix the mayonnaise, mustard, and balsamic together, then spread it thinly on one side of each slice of bread.
- Place cheese on a mayo/mustard side of a piece of bread; if including proscuitto, place it on the provolone.
- Spread the slices of avocado next, then the tomato, and season to taste with salt and pepper; then top with lettuce and the other slice of bread with the mayo/mustard side facing the lettuce.
- Note: using a fully ripe avocado is very important.