Tomato Basil Soup (Low Sodium but Not Low Flavor)
- Ready In:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt or 1 teaspoon morton lite salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons homemade pesto sauce or 2 tablespoons bottled pesto sauce
- 1⁄2 cup cream (optional)
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. When the butter begins to bubble, add the onions and saute until tender and translucent.
- Add the seasonings, tomatoes, and broth. Simmer with the onions for 20 minutes.
- Blend the soup in two batches until smooth.
- Stir in the pesto and cream (if using). Return to low heat for 5 minutes. Serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a food scientist that works at a dehydrated foods company. I live in Southeast Idaho with my husband and two kitties. I love to cook and experiment with different flavors and textures. However, my husband won't eat anything with onions and garlic in it. Don't worry-- I sneak them in once in a while. :) My favorite cookbook right now is the Moosewood cookbook. The tabbouli is fabulous!