Tomato and Mozzarella Burger
- Ready In:
- 6 large tomatoes, ripe (approx 2 1/2 lb)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 sprigs fresh basil, leaves picked
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Slice a thin piece from the rounded bottom of each tomato, so they sit upright.
- Slice each tomato in half horizontally. Arrange the tomato halves, cut side up on a shallow roasting pan or rimmed baking sheet lined with foil.
- Drizzle with the oil, then sprinkle on the salt and pepper.
- Scatter the garlic over the tomatoes.
- Roast until they're softened and warmed through, approx 15 minutes.
- Mine took longer -- approx 25 minutes. Mean while, cut the mozzarella into 6- 1/2 inch rounds.
- Using a spatula, sandwich each cheese slice between 2 hot tomato halves.
- The heat of tomatoes will melt the cheese slightly.
- Drizzle with the juices collected in the roasting pan and garnish with basil.
Join The Conversation
I just realized that I hadn't rated this recipe after my duplicate (gotta love Real Simple magazine subscriptions) was removed. I, too, prepared this after seeing it in the magazine and served it with Recipe #64853 and a simple tossed salad for a completely veggie meal. Yum! We were very happy with the richness of the roasted tomatoes and the ooey gooey melted mozzarella cheese. Fresh garden tomatoes were made for this recipe.