Tomatillo Hash With Sausage
- Ready In:
- 3 links Italian turkey sausage, without fennel
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 poblano chile, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tomatillos, husked and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup white wine or 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Remove the sausage from its casings and form into 1-inch balls.
- Heat a large, heavy skillet over medium high heat, add the olive oil and sausage balls and cook until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes. Remove from skillet.
- Add onion, peppers and salt to the skillet (add a little more oil, if needed), and cook until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatillos and cook 2 minutes longer, until just softened.
- Add wine or broth and return the sausage balls to the skillet. Simmer until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Serve over the brown rice, chopped cilantro would be a nice touch.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My screen name is a diminutive in Lithuanian for bread, so you won't be suprised to learn that I love to bake bread. In recent years I have been baking a lot of sourdough breads and have several starters sitting in my refrigerator. But I like to cook a lot of other things, as well, especially from various cultures. The cat wishes I would concentrate on meat and fish... I joined a few years ago but started posting recipes and participating in forums just recently - I wish I had done so earlier. Recipezaar is a great community! Right now I am a co-host for the Breads and Baking and the Eastern Europe forums - I hope to see you there!