Tom Kha Kai Point 2
photo by Linky
- Ready In:
- 1 quart thai ginger infused broth
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, cut in matchsticks
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sliced thinly
- 1⁄2 cup green onion, cut diagonally
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground kaffir lime leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground galangal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried lemon grass
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 chicken breast, cut in strips
- 1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
- Bring broth to a boil, add chicken.
- While chicken is cooking, cut up peppers, mushrooms and onions.
- Add veggies to soup and simmer about 5 minutes, until mushrooms are done.
- Add coconut milk and seasonings.
- Simmer about 5 minutes more.
- Add lime juice, garnish with cilantro.
- Fresh lemongrass, galangal and kaffir lime leaves would be great if available. If so, add with veggies.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Tom Kah Kai is one of our favorite soups and we really have this several times per year. The recipe I reviewed is a light version, posted by Linky, in which most of the ingredients are dry and for this reason it is almost a ready made version. For my recipes with fresh herbs I keep the herbs in the freezer, but if they are not available, you will be more than happy with this recipe which makes the almost impossible to possible. For this recipe I replaced the ground kaffir lime leaf by one lime peel in the soup and discarding it before serving. I used a small tin canned mushrooms, for the broth I used "normal" broth where added 3 very thin slices ginger. Suggestion: place lemon grass in an empty tea bag while cooking for easy removing. Thanks a lot Linky for this great soup!
Yum! SO easy, and we both loved it. One of my favourite soups ever :) I didn't have Thai broth, so I made broth by boiling the chicken breast with salt, shallot, ginger, salt, fish sauce (nam pla), fresh lemon grass. When the meat was done, I removed shallot and spices and proceeded as written. Thanks for sharing, I'll make this again! Made for For YOur Consideration Game.