Tofu Buffalo Wings
photo by SAHS7930
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
4 4 oz. servings
- 12 ounces extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Drain the tofu, and then remove excess moisture by cutting it in half lengthwise and microwaving on high, uncovered, for two minutes. Gently squeeze out and wipe off excess moisture, then throw tofu in the freezer for one or two hours before removing to thaw in the fridge -- this will give the tofu a slightly heavier texture.
- Cut tofu into bite-sized pieces and place in a lidded, flat-bottomed dish to marinade. Combine hot sauce, barbecue sauce, black pepper, and garlic powder in a small bowl. Pour half this mixture over the tofu; reserve the other half for later.
- Let tofu sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Drain any excess marinade from tofu into reserved bowl of sauce. Combine flour, salt, cayenne and paprika in a bowl. Coat tofu with flour mixture.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large frying pan. Fry tofu (in batches, if need be) until all sides are golden brown and oil has cooked out. Add remaining sauce mixture to pan, stirring until tofu is well-coated. Serve with ranch or bleu cheese dressing for dipping.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I'm not leaving stars because it may have been my prep, but I didn't care for this at all. This was a barbecue dish first of all, and not a buffalo flavored one. I thought maybe it would be something that it's not because of the name, but I should have gone with my instincts. All the extra seasonings in this just tasted bitter with my barbecue sauce, which was a homemade low carb sauce I have made many times before with good results. Sorry, but I wasn't able to finish this. Next time if I want buffalo tofu I'll just use real buffalo style sauces. Thanks anyway.
These went over pretty well here. DH and I are not vegetarians but do eat lots of meatless meals. I like tofu and DH can't stand it. I wanted to give this recipe a try because buffalo wings are one my DH's favorite foods and if I can find something healthier as a substitute that's all the better. I gave it a go today and he was nice enough to give it a try. He told me it was the least offensive tofu recipe he' ever tried. I must say that's HUGE. I liked these (a little too much bbq sause for me) but the fact that he didn't turn his nose up at these is the reason I'm giving them 5 stars. Thanks for posting!
I love love love these. I've been allowing myself one day a week where I can have whatever food I've been craving, and twice in a row I've chosen these, with Bobby Flay's Green Onion Potato Salad, it's like heaven on a plate. The key is to pick a tasty BBQ sauce. I like Trader Joe's Bold & Smoky Kansas City style BBQ sauce. I find that a single batch isn't enough for my 3 person household, and I need to double it just to feed everyone, triple the batch if I want leftovers. I wish I could give this 10 stars, I just can't explain how yummy these are. Thanks for a great recipe.
see 3 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I've been a vegetarian since my mid-teens, although I didn't get into cooking until I went to college and faced the struggle of staying healthy on campus. I love Asian dishes and trying new things with tofu and other vegetarian staples. I don't bake often, but when I do, I bake vegan, because vegan pastries are soooo moist and delicious!