Toffee Meringue Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 9 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 3⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 1 cup Heath candy bars, chopped fine (4 bars) or 1 cup Symphony candy bar (4 bars)
- 1 1⁄4 cups chocolate-covered english toffee bars, 5 additional bars (3 cut into triangles, 2 chopped coarsely)
- 4 tablespoons caramels
- Heat oven to 275 degrees.
- Grease well 2 (9 inch) round layer cake pans.
- In large bowl, beat egg whites with electric mixer until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted.
- Beat in vanilla and vinegar until well blended.
- Gradually add sugar, beating constantly until peaks are stiff and glossy.
- Spread evenly in prepared pans.
- Bake 1 hour at 275 degrees. Layers will be puffed and golden.
- Turn off heat; let stand in oven 2 hours or until cool. Layers will be soft and slightly less puffed.
- Whip cream in a medium-size bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted. (You will have 4 cups whipped cream.)
- Put 1/2 the cream in a separate bowl.
- Fold the chopped toffee bars into one portion.
- To assemble, remove one meringue layer from pan to serving plate.
- Spread with candy mixture.
- Remove other meringue layer and place on top.
- Spread with plain whipped cream.
- Garnish top with candy triangles, then sprinkle chopped candy to fill in spaces.
- Drizzle some of the caramel on top & down the sides.
- Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight. Makes 12 servings.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!