Toffee Butter Crunch
I got this recipe from Better Homes and Gardens cookbook several years ago. It's very good. Enjoy!
- Ready In:
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon Karo syrup
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3⁄4 - 1 cup chocolate or 3/4-1 cup white chocolate chips
- Butter the sides of a 2 quart saucepan.
- Melt the butter.
- Add sugar, water and Karo syrup.
- Heat to 290 degrees using a candy thermometer.
- Watch carefully after it reaches 280 degrees (if the top if the toffee looks burnt it's okay).
- As soon as it reaches 290 pour into a greased pan.
- Let sit for 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle chips on top and let set for 3 minutes.
- Spread the chips out, freeze and cut or break into little pieces.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I'm using this as my base recipe and then tweaking it. I just made the first batch and used 1/2 c of dark brown sugar that I needed to use up and then 1/2 c white sugar. Immediately after reaching 290 degrees, I stirred in 1 TBS of baking soda then poured into a cookie sheet lined with foil that had been sprayed with non-stick spray. Next time I'm going to try some vinegar. One of these times I will probably use nuts, too. Chocolate masks the toffee taste for me so we'll see if I try that. This is a great recipe, though.1Reply
I just finished making this,I wish I had doubled the recipe now.I added a tsp of vanilla to the butter mixture.I used chopped almonds on top of the chocolate but they did not really stick to it very well.Next time I'm going to add the nuts to the toffee as soon as it comes off the heat.I like the addition of nuts in the toffee.1Reply
This is Sooooooo good! It makes Heath bars taste like plastic. Since the recipe doesn't mention what size pan you should pour the cooked candy into to cool, I'll note that I doubled the recipe and it fit perfectly into a standard cookie sheet. Last time I made it I only made a single batch and I just spread it as far as it could go on the cookie sheet and still maintain the thickness I wanted. That worked too. Thanks for the great recipe!Reply
see 10 more