Toad in the Hole (Sausages With Pastry)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Bring on the cholesterol medicine and heart attacks! But this is too good to not try once. A traditional English meal, named after an English pub game. English comfort food at it's best. Taken from Best of English Food and Cooking.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups water, cold
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1⁄4 lbs sausages, pick your favorite kind
- Preheat oven to 425°F Make the batter - sift the flour and salt into a bowl, make a well in the center and break the eggs right into it.
- Mix the milk with the cold water. Using a whisk, gradually stir the milk mixture into the bowl with the eggs, incorporating the flour and beating well to make a smooth batter. Leave to stand while you do the next step.
- Pour the oil into a roasting pan and add the sausages (cut in half crosswise if large). Put into the hot oven and cook for about 10 minutes until the oil is very hot and the sausages begin to brown.
- Stir the batter and quickly pour it around the sausages and return to the oven. Cook for about 45 minutes or until batter is puffed up, set and golden brown. Serve immediately.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION