Tire De La Ste-Catherine
- Ready In:
- Place the molasses, corn syrup, brown sugar, white sugar, vinegar, cream of tartar and half the butter in a pot.
- Bring to a boil over low heat until the mixture registers 140° C (260° F).
- Stir for 5 to 10 minutes. The mixture has to reach the "ball" stage, meaning it's ready when you drop a little of it into a small bowl of cold water and it forms a ball.
- Mix in the baking soda.
- Pour into buttered dishes and let cool slightly until you can pick the taffy up without burning your hands.
- Butter your hands well and begin pulling: pull, fold in half, and repeat the process until the taffy is pale golden, and almost white. If it sticks to your hands, put a little more butter on them.
- Pull one last time and twist up tightly in small lengths. Cut into pieces with scissors.
- Place on a buttered plate or wrap in waxed paper.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!