Tipsy Squire(Cook's Country)
- Ready In:
- 16hrs 25mins
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 pinch table salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 (8 inch) round stale sponge cakes, homemade-can also be store-bought (each about 1 1/2 inches thick)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cream sherry
- 1 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 40 small almond macaroons or 40 small amaretti cookies, homemade-can also be store-bought
- 1 cup fresh raspberry
For the Custard:
- Heat cream, 6 tablespoons sugar, and salt in heavy saucepan over medium heat until simmering, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar. Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks in medium bowl until thoroughly combined. Whisk in remaining 2 tablespoons sugar until sugar begins to dissolve. Whisk in cornstarch until mixture is pale yellow and thick, about 30 seconds.
- When cream mixture reaches full simmer, gradually whisk half into yolk mixture to temper. Return mixture to saucepan, scraping bowl with rubber spatula; return to simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly, until 3 or 4 bubbles burst on surface and mixture is thickened, about 1 minute. Off heat, whisk in butter and vanilla. Transfer mixture to bowl, press plastic wrap directly on surface, and refrigerate until set, at least 3 hours or up to 2 days.
- Slice each cake round in half horizontally. Brush each cut side of one cake with 1/4 cup sherry, then spread with 1/4 cup jam. Stack 2 cut sides together (resulting in jam sandwich). Repeat with second cake to make second jam sandwich. Cut each cake into 5 long slices, then cut 5 more slices crosswise. (Reserve small jam cakes for nibbling; you will need 30 to 40 of the larger jam cakes for step 3.).
- Beat cream and 1/4 cup sherry with electric mixer at medium-high speed to soft peaks. Reduce speed to low, gradually add custard, and mix well, about 1 minute. Toss macaroons with remaining 1/4 cup sherry in large bowl.
- Arrange 12 to 14 (depending on size) macaroons in single layer to cover bottom of 3-quart trifle bowl. Spoon 2 cups custard mixture evenly over macaroons. Arrange 15 to 20 jam cakes in single layer on custard. Top with 2 cups custard mixture. Repeat layering of cookies, custard mixture, jam cakes, and custard mixture once more. Arrange remaining 12 to 16 macaroons in circle midway between rim of bowl and center of trifle, so that they stick up slightly like a crown. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 12 hours or up to 2 days. When ready to serve, pile raspberries inside macaroons.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!