TIBS Old Fashioned Chicken & Dumplings
Old fashioned Chicken & Dumplings is a comfort food classic. A nostalgic part of country cooking, this delicious recipe is sure to have you reminiscing on days gone by when you walked into your Grandma's kitchen and knew she was whipping up something special to warm the heart and soul.
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 20mins
- 1 cut-up whole chicken (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 2 celery ribs (sliced)
- 1 medium carrot, sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 1⁄2 cups original Bisquick baking mix
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- Remove and discard excess fat from chicken. In 4-quart Dutch oven, place chicken, giblets (except discard liver) and neck. Add celery cut into pieces, carrot, onion, parsley, 1 tsp salt, 1 teaspoons pepper, water, and chicken stock. Cover; heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer 2 hours.
- Remove chicken onto a plate, discard giblets and neck, and place in the freezer to cool. Place a coliander over the top of a large bowl. Skim 1/2 cup of fat from broth. Pour vegetables and remaining broth into coliander reserving the broth in the large bowl equal to 4 cups. In Dutch oven or large pot, heat reserved 1/2 cup fat over low heat. Stir in 1/2 cup of the Bisquick mix. Cook and stir until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. Stir in reserved 4 cups broth. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Add chicken, vegetables, 1 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper; reduce heat to low. Heat about 20 minutes or until hot. In medium bowl, stir remaining 2 cups Bisquick mix and the milk with wire whisk or fork until soft dough forms. Drop dough by spoonfuls onto hot chicken mixture (do not drop directly into liquid). Cook uncovered over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.