Tia's Caribbean Fish Packets
I got this recipe from a very good Jamaican friend of mine, Miss Hines. With the walkers wood jerk sauce...start lightly...it is spicy. I adjust it according to each of my family members taste...Hope you enjoy it as much as we do!! I usually serve rice and peas on the side to soak up the juice!
- Ready In:
- 4 talapia fillets
- walkerswood jerk sauce
- 1 large onion, sliced in rings, divided
- 1 large red pepper, divided
- 1 large yellow pepper, divided
- garlic, minced, divided
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with jalapenos, drained, divided
- italian seasoning, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) package white button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced, divided
- 1 lemon, juice of, divided
- red pepper flakes, to taste, divided
- Pam cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Take aluminum foil; 2 sheets per person. Double them together. Spray foil with Pam. Place filet on each doubled sheet. Spread walkerswood jerk sauce on filet -- again -- this is spicy stuff so lightly at first!
- Then add the onion, red pepper, yellow pepper, tomatoes, mushrooms, italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and squeeze of lemon juice on each packet.
- Close each packet completely. At this point I take a marker and mark the initial of each person on their packet.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Open packet carefully, and put contents over rice. Throw packet away! Easy peasy clean up too !
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Very healthy indeed and colourful. I was somewhat disappointed in the flavour, I have to admit we found it lacking. I added tomatoes, mushrooms, snow peas, orange pepper, onions to the packets and added a tsp of butter to each. The only flavour that came thru was that of the jerk sauce and I wasn't using it too heavy. But love the idea and the dish looks beautiful. I used 1 1/4 lbs of fish for 3 adults. Made for ZWT - Zingo round (the picture shows the packet prior to cooking)Reply
Ya mon, very good and "easy peasy cleanup"! Plus attractive and healthy-although the fillets are not included in the NF. I made my own jerk sauce by mixing together in a coffee cup 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce, 1/2 teaspoon lime juice, 1 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil, and 1 1/2 teaspoons of Recipe#374040. I used a green pepper instead of a yellow pepper. Served with Recipe#157385 for a wonderful Caribbean meal. We must be very big eaters as DH and DS both thought that the recipe should to be doubled in order to feed the three of us but even the fish package says 1# feeds four. Love your hint about initialing the packets!Thanks Lazy Chef 2 for sharing. Made "while cruising" the Caribbean with the Chow Hounds during ZWT5.Reply