Thursday Island Nummus
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Thursday Island is found at the Northern tip of Queensland where Australia meets Papua New Guinea.
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 10mins
- 500 g white fish fillets, thinly sliced
- white vinegar
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 cup of fresh limes or 1/4-1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 5 cloves garlic
- 5 tablespoons fresh ginger, freshly chopped
- fresh chili pepper, chopped (as many as you like!)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- Place the fish in a mixing bowl and pour about half a cup of vinegar over it.
- Gently knead the fish until it starts to"cook"; adding more vinegar if necessary.
- After a couple of minutes add half the lime of lemon juice and continue to kneadfor another minute.
- Add the salt and continue to knead until fish feels cooked (a minute or two should be enough).
- Add sugar, chilli, garlic, ginger, onion, and mix well.
- Add more juice and chilli if required.
- This dish can be eaten straight away but storing for several hours or overnight if you have the willpower (in the refrigerator) will enhance the flavours.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This is a wonderful recipe, but it needs a warning: 5T of ginger and 5 cloves of garlic is intense for people who aren't prepared for it. And what in the world is "nummus"? It must be one of the rarest words in the world. Googe says it's a kind of Roman coin, and then the third Google entry is... this recipe!Reply