Thrown-Together Chocolate Cake
photo by Chocolatl
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- Oven: 350 deg F/ 180 deg Celsius.
- Grease 1 fairly large or 2 smaller cake tins with butter.
- (Later I increased the butter to 1/2 cup, and also added 1 teaspoon mixed spice.).
- Put all ingredients in a mixing bowl, more or less in the order given. Beat well with electric mixer until creamy and smooth.
- Ladle into greased tins, tap to remove some air bubbles, and bake in the pre-heated oven for 45 mins - 1 hour.
- (Two smaller tins might bake faster than 1 large tin. Do test with a skewer before removing).
- Turn out and cool.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Very easy to make! I tagged in Photo Tag. Didn't have superfine sugar, so used regular white. Used 1 C white flour, 1/2 C wheat, margarine, 1/3 C cocoa (based on previous reviewer's comment), 2 tsp coffee powder. I put it in a bundt pan and it baked in 45 minutes. I put chocolate frosting over it and it was delish! I think the cake would have been perfectly moist without the frosting. Went over well with entire family! :)
I'm no baker, my cakes when I have attempted them have risen like Mt Krakatoa! When Zurie said this cake would work for me, I wasn't so sure. I tried it out and wow! It worked! I no longer bake volcanoes! I didn't have cocoa powder so made it without, still delicious. In fact between my 2 children, husband and I we polished this off one Sunday afternoon.
This was cerainly an easy cake to make - throw it together, beat it and bake it. Unsure of what is considered a "large" tin or "small" tin, I randomly chose a 9X13-inch cake pan. It worked great; rose up nicely & filled he pan. It wasn't as chocolatey as what I usually make but a good change. The coffee addition was a nice one. Re: the butter & spice - I went with 1/3 cup butter and added 3 tablespoons of spiced apple butter. Baking time was considerably less in my oven - a flat 30 minutes and it was done. Thanks for sharing your recipe! It's a good one to have on hand for a quick, tasty dessert.
This is a very good one-bowl cake. I used the 1/2 cup butter and 1/3 cup cocoa. I didn't have instant coffee, so I added a spoonful of brewed coffee to the cup before measuring the milk. I baked it in two 8" round cake pans for 28 minutes, which I think is about 3 minutes too long (oops). I frosted it with Recipe #369505. Definitely a go-to when I want a cake without too much work. Thanks for posting!