Thomas Keller's Slow Cooker Cassoulet
- Ready In:
- 4 lbs boneless pork shoulder, cut into 8 pieces and trimmed of excess fat
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 4 ounces bacon, thick cut, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
- 4 cups yellow onions, coarsely chopped (about 3 medium onions)
- 2 cups sauvignon blanc wine or 2 cups other dry white wine
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 (35 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes, peeled and drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 12 cups great northern beans, fully cooked and drained
- 6 chorizo sausage, fully cooked or smoked about 1 1/2 lb. total, each halved on the diagonal
- 1 head of garlic, halved crosswise
- 1⁄4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 lb baguette, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- olive oil, extra virgin, for brushing
- coarse sea salt, such as sel gris, for garnish
- Season the pork generously with kosher salt and pepper; set aside.
- In the stovetop-safe insert of a slow cooker over medium-high heat, combine the canola oil and panko. Cook, stirring constantly, until the panko is toasted and golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer the panko to a baking sheet and season with kosher salt and pepper.
- Add the bacon to the insert and cook until crisp on both sides, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Reserve the bacon fat in the insert.
- Add half of the pork to the insert and brown on all sides, 7 to 8 minutes total. Transfer to a platter. Repeat with the remaining pork.
- Add the onions and 1 teaspoons kosher salt to the insert and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and softened, about 7 minutes. Add the wine and simmer until reduced by half, about 8 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste, tomatoes and broth. Remove the insert from the heat and add the beans, pork, chorizo and garlic.
- Place the insert on the slow-cooker base, cover and cook on low until the pork pulls apart easily with a fork, 9 to 10 hours. Skim off the fat, and remove and discard the garlic. Fold in the panko and the 1/4 cup parsley. Adjust the seasonings with kosher salt and pepper.
- Position a rack in the lower third of an oven and preheat the broiler.
- Brush the baguette slices with olive oil. Arrange the slices, oiled side up, on top of the cassoulet, overlapping them. Broil until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Let the cassoulet stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving. Sprinkle each serving with the reserved bacon, sea salt and parsley. Serves 8 to 10.
- Adapted from a recipe by Thomas Keller, Chef/Owner, The French Laundry.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!