Thick, Hearty Chili
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
My favorite chili! Lots of vegetables, great flavor, packed with protein. I like my chili thick, but you can easily dilute to your preferred thickness.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup pickled sliced jalapeno peppers with liquid (jarred like for nachos)
- 1⁄4 cup dehydrated onion
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 bell pepper, preferably red
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 2 lbs lean ground meat (beef, turkey, venison, etc)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies (Rotel)
- 1 (14 ounce) can finely diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Butter Buds (heaping) (optional)
- liquid (water, stock, broth, consumme, etc) (optional)
- Pack a 1/4 cup measuring cup with jalepeno slices. Dump these on a cutting board, then finely dice them. Put them back into the measuring cup, and fill the cup the rest of the way with liquid from the jalepeno jar.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the water and dehydrated onions. Set aside to allow them to reconstitute.
- Open the cans of black beans and kidney beans into a colander. Rinse well and let drain.
- Dice the red pepper, leaving out the seeds and membranes.
- Brown the bell pepper and meat together in the chili pot until meat is well done. Drain any extra fat.
- With the heat at medium, add the chili powder, cayenne, cumin, and garlic powder to the meat mixture. Saute for 2 minutes to toast the seasonings.
- Add the jalapenos (and liquid), the onions (and liquid). Mix well. Saute for a minute.
- Add in both cans diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste. Mix well to blend the tomato paste with the mixture. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the chili beans and rinsed beans. Stir.
- Optional items: add brown sugar and/or butter sprinkles. Mix well. At this point, add any optional liquid to thin the chili to your preference. Tip: add liquid 1/2 cup at a time and evaluate the thickness.
- Simmer for 5 minutes. This chili is ready as soon as the beans are heated. Letting it sit and cook longer helps flavors to blend, but is not entirely necessary.
- Enjoy with your favorite extras: crackers, cheese, diced fresh onion, cornbread, corn chips, hotdogs, etc!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION