Thick and Rich Macaroni and Cheese
- Ready In:
- 1 (16 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 2⁄3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (13 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 (8 ounce) Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Rinse with warm water, and drain again; set aside.
- Saute onion and green pepper in butter in a large saucepan until tender.
- Add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- Add 3 cups Cheddar cheese, Velveeta, and pepper; stir until smooth.
- Stir in macaroni. Pour mixture into a lightly greased 3-quart casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup Cheddar cheese, and paprika; bake 5 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!