The Very Best Mashed Potatoes
Butter, milk, a bit of heavy cream, and the secret ingredient-a dash of vinegar-make these the most delicious mashed potatoes ever. If you want to make them a head of time, reheat in the microwave at half-power, stirring every 3 minutes until hot. From Parents Magazine.
- Ready In:
- 3 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, simmer potatoes in salted water until soft. Drain well.
- Return to saucepan; add milk, cream, and butter. Mash potatoes until fluffy.
- Beat in vinegar, mixing well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- *Can be made ahead: Cool, cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
Very yummu mash! If you like your spuds with sour cream, but for some reason can't use it (none in the fridge, for eg.), the vinegar in this mash makes it taste somewhat like if it had sour cream in it. But you have to use a bit more than just 1/2 tsp for 3 1/2 lb of potaotes. Use more like 2 tbs and more, if you dare, to have any affect.