The Very Best Blueberry Bran Muffins
photo by Emmelyn Stieb
- Ready In:
12-16 large muffins
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-bran cereal (or 100% bran)
- 1 1⁄2 cups soured milk (or buttermilk)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups blueberries (frozen or fresh)
- Preheat oven to 375°F Lightly spray muffin pans.
- In large bowl, combine cereal with milk, let stand 10 minutes.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
- Whisk brown sugar, egg, molasses and melted butter into cereal mixture.
- Pour over dry ingredients and sprinkle with blueberries.
- Stir just until moistened.
- Spoon into prepared muffin pan. Bake 25 to 30 mins or until tops are firm to the touch.
- Note: to sour milk, spoon 4 tsp lemon juice or white vinegar into glass measuring cup, pour in enough milk to make 1 1/2 cups. Let stand for 5 mins then stir.
- If using frozen blueberries, do not thaw before adding to the muffins.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Great muffin! I did add a bit more spice - doubled the cinnamon and added a hint of nutmeg & ginger - but that was really it for any tweaks...which is pretty good for me. Good proportions of sweet and salty (usually a muffin is either too much - or too little - of one or the other). I do typically bake muffins at 400F (and for a bit less time) which I find gives them a nice poofy domed top. Will be making these often, thanks!
see 15 more reviews
Blueberry Buttermilk Muffins : NO brown sugar or molasses ? Use equal liquid honey ! NO blueberries ? Sub warm-water soaked & drained raisins or craisins (mixed). Before oven placement, top each muffin with a single dried prune and lightly (pinch) sprinkle raw Demarara sugar crystals on top for an added tasty crunch.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Update Nov 2009 - I live in Northwestern Ontario with the cold and the bugs. A baby born in each of my decade 20's 30's 40's!!! plus 2 grandsons now. I love to cook and hardly ever repeat a recipe. I never really had a fav cookbook but I now have a favorite recipe site that I am totally addicted to-RECIPEZAAR!!! I still email recipes to my own kids. My pet peeve is those folks who turn their noses up at a dish even before they try it. My family have sat at the table with a pig tail or a chicken foot on their plate just becuz I found a recipe - HAHAHa - cooking should be fun and very once in a while the dogs get a treat! I also love watching decorating shows and my husband keeps promising to put wheels on the furniture to make room arrangments easier! We don't hobby farm anymore on our 8 acres and the large veg garden has been made over - half rock garden and other half with 12 new raised cedar beds because I am getting old and the knees don't work so well. It is fabulous and will post a new cover pic altho I love my Inukshuks!! I LOVE snowshoeing and am blessed to be able to walk out my back door and enjoy.