The Ultimate Pineapple Upside-Down Cake .
- Ready In:
- 1hr 3mins
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) box duncan hines pineapple supreme cake mix
- 1 (20 ounce) can dole heavy syrup pineapple slices (only)
- 10 maraschino cherries, with stems (only)
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 0.5 (6 ounce) bag pecan chips (or a handful)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- Slice the butter into a 10" cast iron skillet. Turn to med. heat.
- Add the sugar, and mix together til butter is melted. Remove pan from burner.
- Place the 9 slices slightly overlapping all around the edge of the pan.
- Put the 10th slice in the center of the pan.
- Put one of the cherries in the center of each of the slices, tucking the stem UNDER the pineapple slices.
- Mix the batter according to the instructions on the box, EXCEPT sub the water on the box for the HEAVY SYRUP in the can. DO NOT add more water to this syrup. (If you add more water, you will dilute the flavor).
- Add the nuts to the batter and mix.
- Pour the batter on top of the slices.
- Use the same baking time as a bundt cake.
- Do Not use or sub anything else to this moist, rich cake.
- My Cast iron skillet is the traditional southern way to make this cake, and it usually is done in about 43 minutes, no longer.It distributes the heat evenly, and therefore makes the best cake.
- Using about 1 tablespoons of nuts, put them all around the center slice for looks.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!