The Ultimate Breadsticks
photo by sammy.goose
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
32 huge breadsticks
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1 cup of water with sugar.
- Let stand 5 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the butter.
- Stir into dough and knead until smooth and elastic and slightly sticky (I use a heavy- duty mixer).
- Place in greased bowl, cover and let rise until double, about 1 hour.
- Punch down. Divide dough in half.
- Roll one half dough out into a 12 x 18 inch rectangle on a floured surface.
- Brush with melted butter.
- Cut dough in half vertically, and then cut horizontally into 8 strips (16 bread sticks from one half of dough).
- Repeat this same step with other half of dough. You should have 32 bread sticks all together.
Now at this point you can do the following variations:
- Cheesy Bread Sticks: Press buttered side down of breadstick in freshly grated Parmesan cheese. Twist bread stick multiple times and lay out on parchment lined cookie sheets. (I do about 8 to a pan-parchment necessary so the cheese won’t stick to the pan). Cover and let rise 30 minutes or until double in bulk and then bake. After baking, brush with remaining melted garlic butter.
- Garlic Butter Bread Sticks: Twist bread sticks that have already been spread with garlic butter mixture. Place on greased baking sheet and let rise 30 minutes. After baking, brush again with melted garlic butter.
- Herb & Cheese Breadsticks: Use plain melted butter to spread on dough, then sprinkle bread sticks with Parmesan cheese and Salad Supreme. Place on sprayed baking sheets and let rise 30 minutes before baking. Brush again with remaining melted butter after baking.
- Pizza Breadsticks: Let buttered bread sticks rise on parchment lined baking sheets 30 minutes. Spread with pizza sauce and place pepperoni on top. The last 5 minutes of baking add shredded cheese.
- Cinnamon Sugar Breadsticks: Dip bread sticks in 1 stick melted of butter (skip the brush with melted butter step). Roll in a mixture of 2 cups brown sugar and about 1 Tbsp cinnamon (might need more sugar mixture depending on how much you use). Twist and let rise on parchment lined baking sheets. Bake.
- *Spray pans or use parchment paper and cover lightly while rising.
- **Let bread sticks rise 30 minutes before baking.
- ***Note all bread sticks will be cooked 15 to 18 minutes at 350° or until lightly browned.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I love this recipe! I halved the recipe which filled one baking sheet with dough. I cut the breadsticks with a pizza cutter (made about 20-24 breadsticks), topped with 1/2 cup melted butter and a parmesan/garlic/italian seasoning mix. I prepped these the night before for a Bunco party and cooked them 3/4's of the way done then finished cooking them the rest of the way the following day right before the party. This worked great. They cooked up fluffy and with a nice texture. Very yummy!
Very tender, but I like mine a little bit chewier . I tweaked the recipe very slightly : halved it, used my electric mixer with the hook to knead for 5-6 mins . Had to add an extra 3-4 tbsp water as it was way too dry without . I didn't let rise in bowl, I cut into 20 pieces(remember, this was half the original recipe!if I make again, I would roll into about 25 pieces.) and rolled into 6 inch ropes . Let rise for about 1 hour and baked as directed . Brushed with garlic/parsley/oregano butter . They came out more like hot dog rolls than a bread stick, but very very good . Will make again !