The Real Cadillac Margarita
- Ready In:
- 2 ounces premium 100% agave silver tequila (such as 1921, Don Julio, 1800)
- 1 ounce triple-sec orange-flavored liqueur
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice (about one lime)
- 1⁄2 1/2 ounce Grand Marnier or 1/2 ounce gran gala
- kosher salt
- Pour a thin line of kosher salt on a plate. Rub lime slice around outside rim of martini glass to wet rim with lime juice. Turn martini glass sideways and roll the rim in the line of kosher salt.
- Fill cocktail shaker with ice. Add fresh lime juice, tequila, and triple sec. Shake very well.
- Pour shaken mixture into the salt-rimmed martini glass, leaving all ice in the shaker.
- Slowly pour the 1/2 ounce of Cointreau, Grand Marnier, or Gran Gala on top.
- Garnish with lime slice on rim and lime peel twist/curl in drink.
- Enjoy the purists' margarita. :).
Join The Conversation
There is another recipe for a Cadillac on this site, it is not the real deal. The other recipe has you adding sweet & sour mix into it, but a Cadillac should never, EVER contain sweet & sour or any other "mix" as it is a purists' margarita. If you were a bartender and had someone ask you for a Cadillac, I can assure you that if you put sweet & sour in it, they would not be returning to your bar. This is the real deal Cadillac, served in a martini glass, shaken like a martini.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a foodie, I love to cook and I love to eat. I also love a good drink, but I'm picky about my drinks. I'm a tequila connoisseur mostly and I love a good proper margarita. I love good seafood, and I mostly eat vegetarian cuisine and seafood. I don't eat red meat anymore. I am an excellent self-taught chef at home, and I also have a wonderful girlfriend/fiance who has formal chef training and a degree in culinary arts, so we get along beautifully in the kitchen.