The Only Pizza Crust Dough You'll Ever Need
photo by Giselle R.
- Ready In:
- 14hrs 15mins
2 Pizza doughs
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 - 1 1⁄4 cup water (add more water if needed)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 400 -420 g whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lard or 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra to brush the crust
- Mix the flour, 3/4 cup water, lard, and vinegar in a bowl (preferably non reactive) until dough is quite stiff, almost too hard to knead, but not crumbly. Let this rest overnight, 10-24 hours.
- When time is up, heat remaining water till warm to the touch. Mix in yeast and molasses, and let it sit for 5-10 minutes, till very foamy. If nothing happens, yeast is dead or too old- try again with new yeast.
- Mix in the yeast mixture with rest of dough and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, adding water as needed. Re grease the bowl, cover with a lid or towel, and let it rest in a warm oven until doubled (to warm oven, turn it to 350 F/180 C for one minute, then turn it off and quickly put the bowl inside.) Let it rise until doubled, 1-2 hours.
- Do another rising, in a warm oven, for 20 minutes. At this point, you may cut the dough in half and freeze one or both pieces. Just put it in a plastic bag and let all the air out. It will last about 6 months in the freezer.
- Preheat oven to 500 F/250°C Grease one or two pans (8x11 or a round pizza pan) with lard or olive oil and CAREFULLY flatten out each pizza onto the pan(s). Brush pizza liberally with melted butter. Top with toppings just before putting in oven- not earlier, since the crust might get soggy. It can hold lots of toppings, so go crazy!
- Baked pizza for 12-15 minutes, one pizza at a time. Serve immediately or cool and freeze by covering with plastic wrap. Unfreeze in the fridge and reheat in the oven.
- Tips: If pizza doesn't rise, it can still be saved! Just add 2 tsp baking soda after the last rise. Unsweetened (check ingredients) yogurt or kefir can be subbed for 3/4 cup water and 1/4 cup vinegar. This pizza is best made without a crust, but if you want, pinch the edges of the pizza upwards to make one.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!