The Olive Garden Official Siena Sauce
photo by Karen Elizabeth
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green olives with pimiento, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup small caper, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 cup tomatoes, diced
- 29 ounces tomato puree
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 medium red bell peppers, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 fresh sweet basil leaves, chopped
- HEAT olive oil in a small sauce pot; add garlic and sauté for one minute (do not brown). Add bell peppers and sauté until al dente. Add olives and capers and stir. Add red wine and bring to a boil. Add remaining ingredients except basil.
- BRING to a boil, reduce to low heat and simmer for approximately 30 minutes. Add basil to sauce and stir well; remove Siena sauce from heat.
- SERVE over your favorite pasta.
- GARNISH with chopped basil, if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This is very good! I was adventurous, using olives and capers, coming out of my comfort zone! And glad that I did, this is a rich and complex sauce, not at all your every day tomato sauce! And yet so easy to prepare, combine everything, let it cook! I prepared this on a Saturday afternoon and loved the rich aroma in my kitchen, and after cooling (and tasting) I've popped it in the fridge to enjoy later this week! Thanks for sharing an excellent recipe, Wendy!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I love to cook is the first thing people find out about me. My main passion is my Nuwave oven and converting recipes to cook in my Nuwave. We are always looking for new recipes!!<br /><br /><br />Also, I love to help others! <br /><br /><br />If you find any of my recipes helpful or want to speak with me about it. Please drop me a line. If you wish to help with the Nuwave/Flavorwave Oven recipes please drop me a line or Chef At Heart - (Leanne) - http://www.recipezaar.com/member/416807 She is my partner in crime (Leanne) with Nuwave/Flavorwave recipes! <br /><br /><br />The second thing, I have several passions! One is for my Nu-Wave Oven which is the same as a Flavorwave Oven. <br /><br />The 3rd thing is I love my Crockpot. <br /><br /><a id=clustrMapsLink href=http://www3.clustrmaps.com/counter/maps.php?url=http://www.recipezaar.com/member/531768><img src=http://www3.clustrmaps.com/counter/index2.php?url=http://www.recipezaar.com/member/531768 alt= /> <br /></a><a href=http://www.amazingcounter.com><img src=http://cb.amazingcounters.com/counter.php?i=2106566&c=6320011 border=0 alt=Free Hit Counter /></a><a href=http://www.1-coupons.com/coupons/target.htm></a></p>