The Hangover Cure Pozole Soup
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless chicken, thighs cut in 8-10 pieces per thigh
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans hominy
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 poblano chiles or 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 (7 3/4 ounce) can El Pato salsa de fresco, green can
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons of good quality chili powder or 1 1/2 tablespoons guajillo chilies, paste i made my self
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon season salt or 1 teaspoon adobo seasoning, to taste
- 2 tablespoons masa harina flour or 2 tablespoons cornmeal, to thicken
- 3 cups chicken broth or 3 cups water
- Heat a tablespoon and a half of oil over medium heat in a large dutch oven. Place chicken in dutch oven and brown about 4 or 5 minutes per side. Remove and set aside.
- Place onion, pepper, and carrot in pot and saute 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute. Deglaze pan with can of El Pato and bring to simmer.
- Add the two cans of rinsed hominy, and add three cups of chicken stock. Bring to simmer and lower heat.
- Cook for 30 minutes then add spices and masa. Add your favorite hot sauce or a chipotle pepper if you want more heat especially if you used a bell pepper.
- Cook another 15 minutes or until soup has thickened.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and some minced cilantro if you want.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!