The Fish Market Au Gratin Potatoes
photo by Rinshinomori
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter or 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 - 1 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- paprika, sprinkle
- Wash the unpeeled potatoes, poke about 6-8 holes with a fork and bake 45 minutes in 375F oven for small to small/medium potatoes. For the bigger potatoes increase the baking time. They are done when you can easily pierce through the potato with a thin skewer.
- Remove from oven, cool a bit and peel. Slice the peeled potatoes into about half inch slices and set aside.
- Melt the butter or olive oil on low heat in a saucepan and stir in the flour. Cook without browning for about 7 minutes, stirring constantly. Take the pan off the heat and whisk in the milk quickly.
- When the sauce is smooth return to the stove and cook over medium heat for about 18-20 minutes stirring until it is thicker, about the consistency of cream. Do not burn.
- Add 80% of the cheese and stir until smooth. Add cooked potatoes, salt, and pepper and fold all together.
- Pour into a serving casserole and sprinkle the remaining 20% of cheese over the top along with paprika.
- Bake in 375 F oven for 30 minutes.
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
You can find me reviewing book, magazine and online recipes with a name of Rinshin at eatyourbooks.com.