The Cannery's Mussels
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh mussels, thoroughly scrubbed and cleaned
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1 ounce prosciutto, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon, zest of
- 1 pinch saffron (optional, but good)
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- salt and black pepper
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, heat up the oil.
- Add mussels to pan, then pour wine over.
- Cover and steam just until mussels open.
- Remove cover and add prosciutto, lemon zest and saffron to the skillet.
- Add both cream and butter to the skillet, stir, and cook until the liquid is reduced and sauce thickens; stir occasionally.
- With a slotted spoon, remove mussels to 4 warmed soup plates (or 2 plates if using as a main course).
- Taste sauce and add salt and pepper if you wish; pour over mussels and serve with some great bread for dunking in the sauce.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I have been sharing recipes here at Recipezaar since October 2001. You won't see me around anymore, although if you're an old-school Zaarite you'll remember that in the past, you couldn't shut me up!