The Best Oven Roasted Beef Ever!
photo by NorthwestGal
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 3 lbs beef eye round
- 1 -2 sweet onion, halved and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup prepared yellow mustard
- kosher salt
- fresh black pepper
- 1⁄8 - 1⁄4 cup flour, for gravy
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Rub salt and pepper into beef roast.
- Massage mustard into beef roast.
- Set beef roast in desired roasting pan and cover with sliced onions.
- Add a small amount of water to the bottom of the pan if you wish.
- Cover with aluminum foil and roast about 1 hour.
- Uncover and roast for 30 minutes more.
- Cooking time will be less for medium/rare. Use a meat thermometer as your guide.
- Remove roast from oven and transfer roast and onions to serving dish. Cover with foil and LET REST FOR 20 MINUTES.
- Place roaster pan on burner (or transfer liquids to burner-safe pan) on medium heat and whisk in flour to create a gravy.
- Slice beef very thinly and serve with mashed potatoes, roasted veggies, and gravy.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My DD's 24th Bday was yesterday and for her dinner, she requested roast beef, mashed potatoes/gravy and corn and of course her favorite cake. We had this with your Mascarpone/chive potatoes for a wonderful meal. This is similar to the way I make my normal roast beef, but I use garlic instead of onion and don't use the mustard, which did add a tang. I really enjoyed the added onion flavor to the gravy, but DD stated she preferred my normal way but this was still very good. Sometimes I think we all tend to like what we are used to, as I thought this was very nice. Thank you for all 3 of your recipes that I enjoyed trying during the Pick A Chef Event for Fall 2011.