The Best Mocha Buttercream Frosting / Icing
photo by daisy45
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee, dissolved in a splash of hot water
- In your mixer, beat the softened butter with the powdered sugar until it is creamy.
- Add in the cocoa powder, vanilla extract & coffee.
- Beat with the mixer until it's nice and fluffy (about a minute or 2)
- This makes a perfectly spreadable frosting. The nice thing about it is that you can put it in the fridge to make it a little more firm if you would like.
I made this recipe for the first time a few weeks ago, and everybody loved it! I used it for cupcakes, and I added a little more coffee to mine. One batch of frosting will easily ice 2 dozen cupcakes. For a little extra something I added shaved chocolate to the top. It's very popular with my family and friends! Thank you so much for sharing it.
Good recipe and the only thing I do differently is to cream my butter to pale and fluffy before adding the vanilla extract and coffee, then I sift the icing sugar and cocoa together and add that in small quantities .. I had to double the recipe for a large mocha cake that I wanted to fill and cover ..
see 11 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I just recently graduated from college in Pennsylvania with my degree in biology and decided to move back to my home town in Maine. My husband and I just got married in September 2006 and are both working getting our business up and running. I am a recipe addict but I can never seem to follow them exactly. Recipes tend to inspire me to put my own twists on what i'm making to make things even better. I love to make soups lately too. I have been doing a lot of experimenting with some pretty awesome results I have just started getting into baking and have made some really awesome cookies, muffins & cakes lately. I really want to learn how to make bread.... I have tried but they never seem to come out as good as the ones I buy. I would love to be able to make homemade foccacia, ciabatta, baguettes, and english muffins.