The Best Chili on the Planet
photo by Stacey E.
- Ready In:
- 7hrs 20mins
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped (depending on size)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 46 ounces tomato juice
- 2 (16 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- You can make this in a crockpot or Dutch oven. If using a crock pot you can brown ground beef in a frying pan instead of the Dutch oven.
- in large Dutch oven cook ground beef until no longer pink. Drain but don’t wipe out pan, set aside.
- Pour olive oil into pan, add onion, green pepper, garlic, jalapeño peppers, and parsley. Cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally until onions become transparent ( about 5 minutes.) Remove from heat and add chili powder, cumin, sugar, oregano, salt, pepper and cayenne pepper. Stir until combined. .
- If cooking chili in a Dutch oven or crockpot, add meat and veggie mixture into the pan or crockpot. Add kidney beans, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and tomato juice. Stir until combined. .
- If cooking on the stove top bring to a boil and then dial back the temperature to a simmer. Cook for two hours uncovered. I cook mine all day on the stove covered ( but I am home all day to watch it) and then uncovered for the last 2-3 hours so the chili can thicken. If cooking in the crockpot just turn it on low and let it cook for 7-8 hours. .
- Serve with shredded cheese and sour cream if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!