The Best Chicken Parmesan
photo by Jonathan Melendez
- Ready In:
4 large servings
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 ounces progresso Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) jar newmans own marinara sauce
- italian seasoning
- 16 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut or pound chicken breasts to 1/2" thin.
- Rinse chicken breasts in water.
- Mix bread crumbs, flour and parmesean cheese in large bowl.
- Coat both sides of chicken thouroughly in bread crumbs, flour, and parmesean cheese mixture.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.
- When oil is hot, carefully place chicken breasts in and turn to brown on both sides.
- Spread a thin layer of the marinara sauce on bottom of baking pan.
- Drain browned chicken and place on baking pan in a single layer.
- Pour remaining sauce over chicken.
- Sprinkle italian spices, then some parmesean cheese on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and hot.
- Take casserole out of oven and turn temperature to broil - 500 degrees. Remember to leave the oven door open a little bit when broiling.
- Top entire casserole with the shredded mozzarella to entirely cover so there will be lots of gooey cheese.
- Sprinkle top of mozzarella with oregano.
- Put back into oven and broil just until mozzarella is light gold in some areas and bubbling. Watch very carefully as it melts very quickly and you don't want to burn it!
- Take out and enjoy the aroma!
- It will be extremely hot right out of the oven.
- For each serving I put my chicken parmesean on top of cooked egg noodles and cover it with the sauce, then sprinkle on even more parmesean cheese.
- Serve and get ready for the oohs and ahhs!
It was fantastic!!! We did a couple things different. We dipped chicken into flour lightly, egg wash, and then bread crumbs. Coated only the bottom of our baking pan with sauce. No mozzarella! More parmigiana cheese on top of chicken after placed in baking dish. Baked 25 minutes. Chicken was nice and crispy on top. Definitely will be making this again.
Wonderful recipe. I will definitely make this again. My only issue was that I had TONS of breading left over. Almost 2 times too much. I will probably cut that part of the recipe in half next time. I hate waste. I might dip in egg next time to keep more of the breading on. Anyone else have this issue?
see 13 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a realtor from South Florida I love to cook for my family and entertain. I love trying out and inventing new recipes.