The Best Baked Potato Casserole Ever!
photo by kellychris
- Ready In:
- 6 medium unpeeled potatoes, baked
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper (I use Penzey's mignonette)
- 6 -8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (I use thick cut bacon)
- 1 cup sour cream, if desired (or more)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, if desired (or more)
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish with nonstick pan coating or grease lightly with solid shortening.
- Cut baked potatoes into 1 inch cubes. Place half in a prepared baking dish; sprinkle half of the salt, pepper and bacon. Top with half of the sour cream & cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted (It usually takes 30 minutes for me. Also, you can cover with foil if the cheese starts to brown too quickly).
- Sprinkle with chopped green onions to garnish.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This casserole is amazing!! As far as ingredients go I pretty much stuck to the recipe only instead of 1 cup sour cream I used 1/2 cup sour cream and 4 oz. cream cheese. For my potatoes I cooked them in the microwave (as I didn't have left over baked potatoes), then I grated them into the pan...I wasn't sure how it was going to work, but it was perfect!! I didn't think the recipe was dry at all as other reviewers had mentioned, however, that could be because of the way I prepared my potatoes. This was just downright delicious...can't wait to eat my leftovers :)
This is very dry. I did exactly as the recipe instructed, and was not impressed. There didn't seem to be enough of the sour cream to easily spread, and I actually added a second container. I think a stick of butter, melted, might have helped. I think a little extra salt would also have helped. Sorry, but don't think this will be one I repeat.
see 5 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Lawrence, KS, home of the Kansas Jayhawks! RockChalk! Lawrence is such a diverse town with a wide variety of locally owned restaurants. I love trying them and learning more about food. I'm an RN by trade but in my spare time, I love to read, spend time with my family & friends, cook/bake and run in the woods with my dogs, Jack and Daffodil. I also love volunteer work to include volunteering at a culinary center near my home. I have learned so much there--not just about cooking but about entertaining, too. I've been a member of Recipezaar for a few years now. It is so much fun! I love trying new recipes and interacting with interesting chefs. This is a great forum for food, friendship & fun. <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/SaltPepperSwap.jpg">