The Best Apple Crumble Pie Ever!!!
This is the BEST apple pie i've EVER tasted! Everyone who tries this LOVES it! The trick is to use a mixture of green and red apples, i've found that granny smith is good, and red delicious doesn't work well. Using the mixed apples is ESSENTIAL to this recipe.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 cup white sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled apples
- 2 cups water
- 3 -4 tablespoons lemon juice, bottled is fine
- 1 pie crust
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- In a large bowl, (at least 8 cups) combine 2 cups water and the lemon juice, as you cut up the apples put them in the water. This will keep them from browning. When you are finished cutting them up, drain off all the water.
- Combine 1/2 cup of the sugar, and the 2 tablespoons of flour. add to the apples.
- Grease a pie tin. Line it with the pie crust. Fill with the apple/flour mixture.
- In separate bowl combine remaining 1/2 cup sugar, the 1/2 cup flour, cinnamon, ginger, and mace. Cut in butter until crumbly. Pat onto the top of the apples. Cover the edge of the pie with foil.
- Bake for 30 minute then remove foil. Bake 30 minute more or until topping is golden.
- Enjoy this decadent delight!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
This truly is the best apple pie ever! I love spices and I refer to this as a Spiced Apple Pie. The first time I made this pie, I followed the recipe exactly. It was great and I got lots of positive comments. The second time, however, I doubled the spice + a few pinches. Half+ went directly into the apples and half went into the crumb topping as called for. Heaven! You don't need 1/2 cup butter though for the crumb topping. It sounded like a lot and my crumbs were not very crumbly. Melt about 1/4 cup and still cut in. For a 9.5" pie, I make 1.5 crumb topping and the 1/4 cup of butter is just about right. It does get best with a mixture of apples that are thinly sliced.Reply